things i will miss:
- our apartment. we love it. it's in a great neighborhood with great views and a wonderful set-up. i love the huge windows, the light, the white walls and light carpet, even the silly appliances that make lots of noise.
- our neighborhood. we're right on a walking trail, two blocks from two different parks, two blocks from the church where my choir practices, two blocks from the neighborhood coffee shop, a ten-minute walk to great restaurants, 15-minute walk to the marina...
- the level of privacy we have now.
- meals around the table together!
- not having to worry about driving home after hanging out together
- being able to live in a house with a yard and garage
- saving money!
- learning to maintain relationships on different levels (marriage and friendships)
- growing in those relationships!
- a slightly shorter commute
- getting rid of stuff we've never used in our 2 1/2 years here (moving is great for purging...)
not only are we moving, but my parents called yesterday to say that they sold their house after having it on and off the market for about 4 years. i'm excited for them, since this has been on their hearts and minds for awhile, but i'm also sad. this is the only house i remember living in--the house i grew up in. it's nearly 100 years old, it has a lot of quirks and character, and my parents (and we kids, on occasion) have put lots of work into making it beautiful. i most likely will not see it again before dad and mom move, so i'm glad we got out to iowa for christmas. i'm also grateful that i've made a home here in bellingham and don't feel that iowa is my only home.
my grandparents will also be moving. they've both had many health issues in the past few years and especially the last month (grandma has diabetes and recently had a stroke; grandpa has parkinson's and recently broke his hip). they're both doing relatively well, but are in different care facilities in different towns. soon they'll move into a care facility together. today they were able to see each other and celebrate grandpa's 85th birthday--a huge blessing.
things are changing.